Kali Blade Word Count

Saturday, July 01, 2006

tower of babel

I'm working on a poem that contains four different languages, none of them English. Not to say I have a thing against English. If I had remembered any decent amounts of my one year of junior high school German, it would have been five. I'm not quite up to the way my friend L speaks English/Chinese/Spanish like it's one language. I still wrote out complete sentences. But there were times when I was taking French class that I wasn't exactly sure what language I was thinking in, much less speaking in and certainly some languages in my head pushed their way to the conscious lobes more often.

I was inspired by Ernesto Priego's Not Even Dogs, where in a few poems he mixes lines of Spanish, French, and English quite fluidly.

With the mix of languages, it's an interesting piece to hear read outloud. If I ever read it at a reading, I'm going to have to practice reshaping my mouth on the fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home